Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kids Crafts: Li'l Leaf








This charming little leaf is made using your child's hand and foot prints. I remember this from grade school. In one of our classes, we had these hanging from the ceiling, one for each child. He can be hung from the ceiling or on a wall. Here's how we made him, along with a few variations.

  1. First I went out and found a leaf in the yard. I copied it, larger, onto a piece of construction paper. I chose orange, yellow, red, and brown for this project since it is fall. I did not like the whole leaf, so I chose the best half and folded the page and cut along the line I liked the most. The side of the construction paper that I'd drawn on became my back side. I then drew a face for the leaf.
  2. Next, I got my 4 year old daughter to let me trace her hands and feet. Then I cut these out for her. I let my 6 year old cut his own.
  3. Using strips of yellow construction paper, folded like an fan, I made legs and arms. The legs, arms, hands and feet are affixed to the leaf using tape. However, you can also glue them, or staple them.
  4. The finished product can be hung from the ceiling or on a wall.

Additional options to mix it up:

  • You can use ribbon to make the arms and legs, instead of construction paper.
  • You can use the cardboard that comes off the back of a used note pad for your leaf to make it more sturdy.
  • Our leaf, pictured above, is slightly wilted. My son spilled a drink. Since part of the leaf was wet, I took a paper towel and wet it with more of the same drink. I then dabbed this over the leaf to cover our accident. You can do this with tea or coffee to stain you leaf and add texture.
  • You can allow your children to draw on the leaf, hands, and feet. Even if they just draw stripes, patterns, or shapes. This would add visual interest and personalize your leaf more.
  • Little girls can add jewelry or other accessories to their leaves. These can be draw, real, or created with craft items.
  • Boys can add caps, collars, jackets, balls in the hands, shoes on the feet, etc.
  • You can embellish your leaf with things around the house, paint it, etc.
  • The list could go on, and on.

As always, the goal is to spend time with your kids, have fun, and be creative. There are no rules to creativity, and the only limit is your imagination. :)





No comments:

Picaboo